I never follow these colour trends that keep on going around, on one-day red is the new black and the colour changes with every season but now I can confidently say green is the new black, and no this is not about make-up colours or the latest fashion trend, its the new lifestyle that is increasing in popularity on a daily basis. Green juices, green salads and GREEN SMOOTHIES. You probably have come across it as well at some point, in some magazine, article or blog page and might not have taken much notice of it. Now you are coming across it again and will definitely have to take notice and discover the secret to health and happiness in its simplest form.
-Acid reflux -Constipation -Excessive weight gain
-Anxiety & Depression -Exhaustion -Lack of Energy
If you ticked at any two of the symptoms as something that affects you, I know you have tried every pill, drink, and diet available to mankind, and the hard truth, is they all don’t work. Pharmacies are filled with isles upon isles of medication dedicated to these symptoms, and people are buying these and the relief they receive is short term, which brought me to a realisation, 3 of them actually. Firstly, no one wants to be ill secondly most people have no clue what changes to make to be healthy and thirdly the secret is in your eating habits. Now when it comes to food everyone is an expert, there is always a new diet on the market, a new pill to try out, low-fat something, guess what? There will always be something new. So here is a simple rule about your body and health. Whatever is found in nature will always be best for proper nourishment. In order for you to be healthy, you have to change your lifestyle and adopt new eating habits. The best one to start with is GREEN SMOOTHIES!
Making green smoothies daily, you will notice the following
– You will get fewer cravings as the body is receiving the correct nutrients and minerals that it needs, these are not found in processed food, which is why you can eat an entire packet of chips or biscuits and still feel hungry.
– Your skin and hair will look and feel better
– An increase in energy which causes you to move around more and be able to get more things done
– Good bowel movement due to the fibre present
– High nutrition content
– Mental clarity
– Kiss acid reflux and indigestion goodbye
These are just some of the changes that you will notice. The range of health benefits from green smoothies is much much wider.
Green smoothies are known to:
– Prevent heart disease
– Boost the immune system
– Have more absorbable calcium
– Balance hormone levels
– Assist with digestion
– Decrease the risk of diseases such as cancer and diabetes
What are green smoothies?
Green smoothies are blended drinks consisting of leafy green vegetables, fruit, healthy fats and a liquid base.
- Leafy greens include spinach, baby spinach, lettuce, kale, cabbage, etc. For the best texture, remove the stems of the vegetables.
- Fruit you can use any type of fruit for green smoothies, but the best fruits are apples, pineapples, pears, and bananas.
- Healthy fats are obtained from avocado, nuts ( almonds, pecan, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts, macadamia, pistachios, walnuts, etc ) seeds ( sunflower, sesame, chia, hemp, pumpkin, flax).
- Liquid bases are water or milk alternatives such as soya milk or almond milk.
- Lemon masks the green flavour.
A combination of these ingredients will sound unusual but green smoothies are lip-smackingly good. The flavour of the vegetables is masked by the fruit and liquid base that you hardly taste the vegetables, meaning you have more greens than you can ever have in a salad at one go and get to enjoy it.
Hints and Tips
For a nice sweet and creamy texture to your smoothies, add bananas. Bananas are also good at keeping the mixture from separating
Avoid papaya seeds and pomegranate seeds, they are bitter and a definite smoothie no-no.
For a cold “slushy ” smoothie always start with your frozen fruit and then add the other ingredients and blend. If you don’t want a “frozen” smoothie then you can leave the blender to run a little longer until you reach the desired temperature.
In order to be content and have a healthy lifestyle it is important to learn what to eat to give your body the correct ‘fuel’ it needs. Green smoothies are not only about diet but are about developing a lifestyle habit that will leave you feeling so amazing, you will never want to quit.